Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Retirement

For the last week, I have been living in a retirement community in Florida. It's an independent living facility (apartments for retired individuals essentially). It's a slightly odd experience, but nonetheless entertaining. Let me share my fun.

Ambulances arrive here about every six hours and idle outside my window. The really odd (and good) thing is that they never leave with anyone. It makes me wonder what they are called here for.

Palmetto bugs... they look like giant cockroaches. I had the pleasure of having one dash across my sink a couple nights ago and scare me half to death. From that point on, I haven't seen it, but I'm always looking. I like the bugs at home better - they are smaller!

Sleeping hours... are crazy! This place is absolutely silent by 8:00 every evening, but they begin playing music (loudly) in the lobby outside my room every morning around 6:30.

Ok, so it isn't all bad. There is sun! I don't have to wear a jacket. I'm one of the people down here who consider 75 degrees "warm". If the rain lets up, tomorrow I'm going to get some sun... I hope.

No comments: